10/14/08

Out of control child

K, since I got so much help on my last dilema I thought I would try it again :) Here's my trouble. Kassidy was sent to a time out yesterday to her room and she was so mad that she started throwing toys out of her room and if I was standing in the doorway...I got hit! When she has a temper tantrum she will start throwing things that she can get her hands on and since we just recently put some of her toys in her room she started throwing them yesterday. So what am I supposed to do to get her to stop? Well my thought was to get the trash can and throw the things away that she threw out to me but as I was doing it she didn't care and I was watching money go down the drain! Does she even understand what I was doing? Maybe not but I thought so since she's going to be 3 in a couple of months. So, has anyone experienced this before and what did you do? I can't believe she can get so mad sometimes! I better watch out huh?

4 comments:

Rae said...

Gabe did/still does the same thing. He didn't care if we took the toy away or threw it away either. We just ended up locking up everything in his room. All his toys are in a closet with child-locked doors. He then started ripping things off the walls, or breaking the blinds. I guess what we do, does not work. Let me know if you find something that does. Rage-filled kid, what did I do wrong?

BonBon said...

I always try to think of a "logical" consequence, so my thought would be to do what you did. If she doesn't care, then just keep taking stuff out until she only has a pillow and blanket left in there. Soooo not easy, but if it works, great. Bailey used to do that once in awhile, so I would take stuff and make him earn it back. You'd have to do things she "gets", like dusting, or helping you pick up around the house, or putting her shoes away when she's done, or taking her plate to the sink...anything kid friendly and talk it up and tell her she earned a toy back. I have actually thrown away a couple of favorite toys...at that point I didn't care about the 10 bucks. Or tell her you'll give it to someone...pick a name and then do it! lol I don't know, just stuff I thought of.

Kim said...

Ahhh...Three, ain't it grand? Is there anything in particular that she loves? I might focus on removing that first... Or maybe making her pick it up before her time out can be over? It's hard when they don't seem to care if you take their stuff away. My sympathies :(

jmelyn said...

Ok Lisa I have a CD for you, you do need to take things away and "throw" them away but put them in your closet and then she can earn them back for good behavor and doing nice things. But you have to stop this right now with her or else you are going to have a 5 year old that rules your life. There are a few things I can help you with as well if you want. My friend Suz had a little one that threw tantrums in the store and we fixed that quickly. There is a way trust me and you have to tip it in the bud quickly too! Call me!