4/16/08

Remember our dog Cy?

Our dog Cy went missing on Halloween night last year. We don't know how he got out of the yard but he did and was missing for about 24 hours. We decided to put up posters in ours and our surrounding neighborhoods in hopes to find him. About 4pm the next day we received a phone call that a lady saw our dog in the next development over so we all got in the car and went looking...couldn't find him. It was getting dark and we had looked that night after we got home and all day this next day and in talking with a friend she suggested (actually she told me) that we were going to take her big spotlight and go look for him. We started driving around on the main street a little ways from our house and she suggested we go behind the gymnastics building because there were open fields and a water hole and maybe he got back there. As we were driving on the road that let out of behind the building her spotlight died so we sat there for a minute trying to figure out what happened and to see how to get it to work again. It started working so we started driving again and came to the main road where I was going to make a right hand turn. I was waiting for a break in the cars (this was around 7pm so it was dark) and all of a sudden Jaime sees Cy and yells, "there he is" and in that split second as I turned to the left to look he got hit by a car! Oh my gosh, that was one big dust ball and I couldn't believe that just happened in front of our eyes! So we left the car and ran to him and the stupid idot that hit him didn't even stop and neither did anyone else for that matter! I went over to him and looked at his tag to make sure it was him and it was. About that time someone had stopped and it happened to be a guy from our ward. I called Danny and told him what happened so Jaime and I took him to the emergency vet and got xrays and pain meds. Danny finally got there and after doing the xrays to find out the damage, it was really bad so we had to put him to sleep. K, I've never had to do that before and that was the hardest thing to see and decision to make. But you know what, I'm so glad that Jaime and I were there to get him and I realize, again, heavenly father watches over us and put Jaime and I there where we needed to be to take care of him and see him so we would never wonder what ever happened to him and be haunted by dogs barking thinking...I wonder if that's him. We do have another dog, a boxer, same breed and he is so cute. We named him Chandler.

2 comments:

Pam said...

OK...you didn't tell me you had a blog. I had to find it on my own. I love it! It will be fun keeping in touch with you more.

Pam said...

Sorry - when I left the message before I hadn't had time to read your post. Now that I have read it what a sad story but I love that you find the positive in it. It must have been hard to go through but it is nice that you were there for his final moments.