5/27/08

Stupid store cards

I went into CVS Pharmacy yesterday to pick up some more chips cuz we were going to a friend's for a bbq and swimming and didn't know she invited 2 other families so since I was in charge of chips I had to go get some more. She told me that CVS had a sale on Lays if you buy one you get one free. So great it's on the way to her house. I go in, get my 2 bags of chips and get to the register and she asked me, (now keep in mind that this is the SHIFT SUPERVISOR that's ringing me up) if I had my card and I said no (because like I'm going to carry around EVERYONE's stupid card on my key chain) so she asked me my phone number and it didn't come up in the system so I asked her if she can look it up any other way and she says no. So I say to her, I thought the chips were buy one get one free (because they didn't ring up that way) and she says really let me go check (again, this is the SHIFT SUPERVISOR and the chips are right in front of her with signs), she comes back and says you're right but since you don't have your card you don't get the discount so I'm like, you've got to be kidding me right? She says no so I say ok then, I don't want your chips cuz that's the only reason why I came here and I know I filled out for a card. So then she takes hers and swipes it and says we aren't supposed to do that but I'll do it for you. Ok, I say, thank you so much, that was really nice of you (but you know I'm thinking, k whatever stupid lady). I pay and I'm on my merry way with my bags of chips. So I get in the car and I just sit there for a second cuz I can't believe what just happened! Why in the world do you need a stupid card just to get a discount???? Can't you just walk into the store and get discounts without filling out a card that doesn't do anything but take your time and add more bulk crap to your wallet? I'm so confused! What is the card for? Do you get special priveledges?? NO. Do you get any money back cuz you've spent so much of it at their store?? NO. K, so why then? I guess I've always wondered why you have to have a card to get sales or discounts but when that lady actually told me I couldn't have the discount for the chips cuz my phone number didn't come up I really had to take a moment and get myself together and shake my head.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I agree. I think they just have you get a card so they can track what you spend. It's all Big Brother spying on us. Funny, I was just saying tonight that I want to start a feature on my blog, as soon as I figure the best way to do it, of stores that are on my good list and those that suck so I can feel somewhat vindicated when one pisses me off like that--since u know complaining to the actual company gets you absolutely nothing :)

Me said...

Well at Frys they add up your purchases to get discounts on gas... but I like Fresh and Easy they have daily specials and you don't need a stinkin card!

Jo said...

Don't you just love stupid people? I mean if you think about it they provide good stories and make your friends laugh when you tell them. That was too funny!

Anonymous said...

I know it's been about a million years since we last spoke/saw eachother, but I have to chime in on this. Some store cards are a waste, but you actually can earn money back with the CVS card. There are people who have the system down to the point where the store ends up paying them to take stuff home! It's time consuming, but free stuff is always nice. ;o)