9/29/09

What do 15 women do for fun?

Alrighty, where do I start?
I guess it starts with a friend who wanted to do a 10K up in Pinetop AZ where she is from and got a whole bunch of friends to join her. I was one of them. Mind you the first run I ever did was a 4.2 Pat Tilman run back in April. So of course I wanted to take on the challenge and was excited. We all headed up on Fri. afternoon to her house that they still have there. It's a small mountain town where there are no malls or anything like that and so she was excited for all of her friends to come and see what her life used to be like before she moved to the big "city" of Chandler. We slept all over the place in beds, cots and air mattresses, didn't get much sleep, and woke up at 6:15 Sat. morning and headed to the starting line.

Tiffany was explaining the course to us and every time she would talk about it, it got worse so I really wasn't sure if she was lying so when we got there it would seem easy or that what she was saying was really true and this was gonna be hard! We started off and went up a hill, only a little hill, but our hearts felt like they were coming out of our chest. Seriously, the altitude was a killer! K, so the run was so hard, Tiffany was right, there were hills! Not HILL, HILLSSSSSS. I so wish I could have taken pictures of them! By about mile 4.5 my right leg muscle in the back of my knee was killing me and I finally had to walk. I was so bummed I wanted to cry! It was a nice excuse though to power walk up those huge hills. So for the next couple miles I would run, walk, run, walk. I made it to the finish in 1 hour and 15 minutes and ran through flats, hills, a dead skunk, car exhaust, pretty scenery and watching everyone's backsides wishing someone was watching mine! Well, technically I wasn't the last person but when there is only like 50 of you running that doesn't leave a lot of room to be closer to the front unless I could have ran the whole thing. Maybe next year.

After the run we all went to breakfast and had the most delicious food. It was so good some of us couldn't get enough, LOL.


I want to do it again, I accomplished something I never thought I would and if it wasn't for my stupid leg I would hope to think I would have ran the whole thing and not stopped to walk. Thank you Tiffany for letting us use your house and getting us all together for some fun!



P.S. On a side note, I went to step class this morning and was commenting to my friend "man this is easy compared to what I just did"! I kept thinking to myself if I can do a 6.2 mile run up and down hills in high altitude, I surely can do a step class!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew you would feel amazing after doing this race! I love it! You are very welcome! I had a blast having you all come to Pinetop, even though we had to pack it in at the house! The parks and rec director called me today to thank me for bringing you all and to thank you all for coming to our tiny little town.

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Wow, you look amazing! Congrats on finishing the race!

Kristi Moody said...

Who cares if you had to walk??!! You did it and you FINISHED!! Good for you. I'm proud of you! Glad you had a great time.

Carol said...

i love the pictures and the post - the last picture is so cute of you girls!! good job lisa!! you're awesome.

McB's said...

You are welcome Tiffany, lol. That's funny that the dude called you, love it!

Carol, you are awesomer cuz you beat me :)

Anonymous said...

So you just accomplished half of a half-marathon - something you never though you would do. You go girl!